Saturday, September 27, 2014

Spark Student Motivation with Scratcher Stickers!

Happy Last Weekend in September! It FINALLY feels a tiny bit like Fall in San Diego.  It's only 75 instead of 95 likes it's been for the last few weeks. I love this time of the year when you can sleep with the window open and still be all cozy under the covers!

I'm linking up with Head Over Heels For Teaching  for her awesome Spark Student Motivation Saturday linky party! I have got some amazing ideas from this linky party and I look forward to it each week.


Last week I posted about using Talking Tokens to engage students in collaborative conversations.  I tried it out and well...it worked!!! It was so fantastic.  Each student participated in the conversation, they shared an original idea, and talked with one another.  They didn't feel stressed that they had to share a lot of ideas, just two simple thoughts.  I had them take just two talking tokens to start with.  But later in the year, I might challenge them with 3 or 4 talking tokens.  I loved that the students were patient with each other and truly waited to talk until everyone turned their tokens over to yellow.  It you are interested to know more about Talking Tokens click here.

There are a bunch of new teachers at my school this year and we all get to go to special meetings together. You know, in all that free time new teachers have! The best part of the meetings is getting time to share ideas.  One of the the teachers brought these to the meeting a few weeks ago.


They are scratcher stickers! I instantly had a million ideas run through my head of how these could be used in the classroom.  She uses them in her classroom as incentives for the students.  She puts them on a little award, then students get to scratch the sticker to see what they've won.  I decided to use them in a similar way in my classroom.  


I work really hard all year to teach my students how to be SCHOLARS! We study famous scholars, we learn about the scholarly traits, and I call them scholars on a daily basis.  By the end of the year, my students walk around saying "I'm a scholar because I am curious." or "I am a scholar because I use multiple resources."  It's a great way to get students to be metacognitive learners and think about their own thinking.  I want to reward them when they are showing the scholarly traits so I have created "Ms. Foley's SCHOLAR Scratchers." 


I'm going to mix up the rewards such as pick from the prize box, homework pass, new pencil, etc. I'm so excited to start using these in my class this week! I can just see the students being really focused on scratching their award. You can find these scratchers all over the internet but here is the Amazon link.

I'm off to go shopping and get my nails done :) Enjoy your Saturday!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this great idea! The scratcher stickers are now in my Amazon cart!

    Mary
    Fit to be Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used scratch-offs for a few years and they're an amazing motivator! I have a template and call them scratch to win! Your kids are going to do back flips for these! I gave them to the parents at open house, except they didn't get to go to the prize box, they got a chore from their child (breakfast in bed, clean the car, vacuum the house, wash the dishes). The parents loved it! I cant' wait to see what your students think! Thanks for sharing and linking up!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete