Sunday, September 7, 2014

A Peek At My Week and a Freebie!

Last night I sat down and did some blog stalking...you know how that goes!  I compiled a list of all the Linky parties that I could possible link-up with during the week. There are so many wonderful Linky parties it's hard to keep up!!! It's my new goal to be a part of at least a few of these a week.


Today I'm linking up with Jennifer over at Mrs. Laffin's Laughings for A Peek At My Week! 


Last week was spent getting routines in place and constantly reminding the kids that...no it's not okay to talk all day! We started our reading rotations and they were a bit shaky at first.  We were both learning what we can realistically achieve in 15 minutes.  No the kids can't finish an entire activity in 15 minutes and NO I can't read a whole chapter with my guided reading group in 15 minutes.  I've taught 4th grade before but I'm at a new school were the routines, schedules, hours, and students are very different than my previous experiences.  It's going to be a learning year!  By the end of the week, we were productive so this week it's time to dig into the deep stuff!


Anyone that truly knows me, knows that I'm a planner! If it was up to me I'd have October planned by now.  Unfortunately, teaching is just not that black and white and my plans change every day. I've also been blessed with a Fourth grade team this year so planning is a lot more fun! 

I always start my days off with Language Arts. My team is still working out the logistics of small groups so nothing is set in place yet.  We are going to have our first hour be whole class instruction and our second hour be reading rotations.  This week we are focusing on "Main Idea." Our team decided to use Nicole's Interactive Reading Notebook this year to give our reading time a solid foundation based on standards.  If you haven't checked out her product yet, you need to do that now...or after you read this whole post!  It's absolutely amazing and has helped me stay organized and standards based. We are going to read various short stories from our anthology and from our "short reads" series.

In my reading rotations groups, I will have students find the main idea of their weekly Scholastic News.  This graphic organizer will help them see the supporting details that back up the main idea.  I will keep these mini posters hanging on the board during rotations to help spark their memory!
Grab it here!


If time allows, I will squeeze in some mentor texts to support our learning goal of the week! I am definitely going to read Crow Boy by Taro Yashima.  It's a powerful book that sparks deep conversation with the students.  It also has a lot of supporting details that we can pick out as a class.  Other mentor texts I might use are Stellaluna by Janell Cannon and The Junkyard Wonders by Patricia Polacco.

                                   


In math, we will be continuing on with Place Value and Ordering Numbers.  I'm introducing rounding which is always a challenging task! I will be using videos from Learnzillion to help! I like to talk about rounding BIG NUMBERS with the mentor text Great Estimations by Bruce Goldstone. It's filled with great images which always leads to those teachable moments!


We will use this little rounding poem to help us remember those tough rounding rules!


I am starting to put my math centers on TPT. Check out this week's Double Dice Addition for FREE!!! 

What does your week look like?? Happy Third Week of School Everyone! 


2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you found my linky party! First of all...that puppy in the picture with you is so adorable!! Is that a beagle? I have a puggle and a springer spaniel. I love them both!! Last week was our first week of school and each day that went by, the kids got chattier and chattier. I'm going to have to work on that a bit harder this week. I hope you have a great week! (See you back on Thursday for Positive Thinking Thursday???)

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute blog! Love the puppy theme. I have three Dachshunds that are my "babies." Good luck with the new school year! I am also at a new school this year and trying to get used to the new routines while trying to continue with what I've always done. Isn't planning A LOT more fun with an Erin Condren planner?
    Chelsea
    Fifth Grade Wit and
    Whimsy

    ReplyDelete