Thursday, July 31, 2014

Technology Thursday (Educreations)

It's time for Technology Thursday with Teaching Trio!

I'm not totally sure what kind of technology I am going to have access to this year in my class.  I'm really hoping that I have some iPads for my students to work with.  One of my all time favorite iPad apps is Educreations.  You can also use it on the computer but it's very user friendly on the iPad.  Have you heard of Educreations?

This is a 2-for-1 kind of app! The students can use it to show their understanding, especially in math, and teachers can use it when teaching with the "Flipped Classroom" model. The app is a blank screen that records your voice and drawings.  I found it very helpful when explaining math concepts.  The students loved showing their understanding of math topics...especially since it involved an iPad! Collecting the students' videos, I created a digital portfolio for each student which helped when doing assessments and report cards.

This is a video I used this past year in my class.  No laughing at me!! This was one of the first videos I made.


For homework, the students had to watch this video and do a few practice problems.  The parents had to watch it too so that they were clued in to what we were learning about in class.  When the students got to class the next day, they had to show me their understanding.  We did a series of word problems where they had to show their work and explain their strategy.  This saved me a whole day of instruction on how to multiply decimals. I put games with this concept in the centers for the following weeks just to reinforce the skill.

There are also a ton of videos already posted that are great resources! Do you use the Flipped Classroom model in your class?

3 comments:

  1. I love Educreations! The students love using it as well. It is very user friendly.

    Mary
    Fit to be Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie,
    Thank you for offering one more great resource for Flipped Classrooms! And I certainly hope you get those iPads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy to find your blog! Your puppy is adorable! I love teaching grade 4! I love Educreations too!
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete